Governor JB Pritzker today proposed 7 guiding principles…
• End the use of the cash bail system and limit pretrial detention to only those who are a threat to public safety.
• Modernize sentencing laws on theft and drug offenses and use a public health approach to address mental health and addiction.
• Reduce excessive lengths of stay in prison by providing pathways for people to earn opportunities for rehabilitation.
• Prioritize rehabilitation and reduce the risk of recidivism by increasing access to housing and healthcare for returning residents.
• Increase police accountability and transparency for police officers and police departments.
• Update and strengthen statewide standards for use of force by police officers.
• Improve interactions with police by decriminalizing minor non-violent offenses, improving police response to crowd control, and increasing language and disability access.